Ricetto di Candelo represented for the medieval citizens of Piedmont a place to store grain, wine, and even themselves in the event of attack. The local feudal lords never intended it as regular housing. Two hundred cells take up 13,000 sq m (140,000 sq ft). The historical records first mention this structure more than a millennium ago. Visitors get drawn into the past because of how well preserved this site is. Try the antipasti at the restaurant inside. Using our world travel planner, Candelo attractions like Ricetto di Candelo can form part of a personalized travel itinerary.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
Ricetto di Candelo reviews
We have visited this Ricetto as we were looking for a day trip out of Milan. It's been a very nice discovery. It's a very small, medieval location next to the city of Biella. It a place where farmers.... more
We have visited this Ricetto as we were looking for a day trip out of Milan. It's been a very nice discovery. It's a very small, medieval location next to the city of Biella. It a place where farmers.... more »
Visited the site in early spring it is a quick visit 45-60 min. There are a few small artisans in the ricetto that are worth a visit. In early spring the restaurants were not open. Very...
Visited the site in early spring it is a quick visit 45-60 min. There are a few small artisans in the ricetto that are worth a visit. In early spring the restaurants were not open. Very... more »
Amazing medieval village with nice place nearby to park your campervan for free... worth stopping by
- Entrance: free (except when special events are organised) - Parking: nearby - Restaurants : 3 within the Ricetto, several outside. The medieval citadel of Ricetto is one of the few still existing in Europe. It was traditionally used by the villagers as a place to seek refuge during invasions or, more normally, where to store food and wine. With this purpose it has survived along the centuries and still now many inhabitants of Candelo, the town hosting the Ricetto, owns a 'tavernetta' there inside. It is not only amazing because you can see medieval architecture perfectly preserved, but because you feel like traveling in time and return back to the 13th century. Walking amongst the 'rue' (streets) at night you feel in a dream. Inside the Ricetto there are several restaurants, and artists' bodegas (wood carvings, luthier, etc.). Last but not least, because of its incredible atmosphere, the Ricetto has been the location for many movies.
Plan your trip to Candelo
- Get a personalized tripA full day by day itinerary based on your preferences
- Customize itRefine your trip. We'll find the
best routes and schedules
- Book itChoose from the best hotels and activities. Up to 50% off
- Manage itEverything in one place. Everyone on the same page.
Popular things to do in Candelo
Trips in Ricetto di Candelo by other users
40 days in Europe BY A USER FROM ITALY London Paris Geneva 8 days in Piedmont BY A USER FROM MALTA Orta San Giulio Turin 6 days in Milan BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES Duomo di Milano Brera District Volandia Parco e Museo del Volo Malpensa 32 days in Province of Novara BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES Novara Orta San Giulio 50 days in Italy & City of San Marino BY A USER FROM UNITED KINGDOM Naples Rome Trieste 21 days in Piedmont BY A USER FROM THE NETHERLANDS Alba Fenestrelle Turin