St Anne’s Charterhouse a Grade 1 listed C14th Priory building and create a new heritage attraction set in a heritage park and complemented by new visitor facilities including a café, shop and small conference/wedding venue.For travelers who use our custom trip planner, Coventry holidays become easier to arrange, with trips to the Charterhouse Priory and other attractions mapped out and timetabled.
Heritage Lottery Funding is now in place to development and submit plans for Phase 1 of the programme, which consists of:
• Restoration of the main monastery buildings and wall murals
• Opening of to the Charterhouse to the public as a heritage and educational venue.
• Interpretative display, focused on the lives of the Carthusian monks, their lifestyle, cultural importance and influence, medieval and Tudor heritage and the history of Coventry.
• In the original Great Cloister, the footprint of two monks’ cells will be reconstructed which will illustrate how the monks lived and an acoustic box in one cell will demonstrate silence, a feature of the Carthusian order.
• Organic gardens will be replanted and the Great Cloister will remain as open space, with information on archaeological remains included in the display and interpretation.
• Restoration of the former stables and coach house and a new, purpose built café with terrace and a first floor venue, suitable for weddings, celebrations, conferences and training will create a hub of activity, centred on heritage and helping to sustain the Charterhouse.
• Parkland around the main buildings to be re-created to the setting of the Charterhouse as a monastery. It includes meadows, orchards and fishponds as re-instated heritage features.
• The car park will be extended to provide for new uses on site and vehicular access will be improved
Currently the building is not open to the public but is open on special days. The parkland area is always open, there is a free car park, a children's play area, a riverside walk with seating and paths for disabled access. We also have special clean up days in the garden and fields, clearing brambles and litter. Look out for events advertised on this page.
Create an itinerary including Charterhouse Priory
Charterhouse Priory reviews
very atmospheric place, great gardens on a good day. Murals from Medieval and Tudor eras fascinating and in great condition considering not yet restored. Free including the guided tour, with... more »
I've visited the charterhouse priory each year for heritage weekend and have to recommend a trip. The building has an incredible history and tour guides are always very informative, with the history..... more »
Plan your trip to Coventry
Get a personalized tripA complete day by day itinerary
based on your preferences
Customize itRefine your trip. We'll find the
best routes and schedules
Book itChoose from the best hotels
and activities. Up to 50% off
Manage itEverything in one place.
Everyone on the same page.
Popular things to do in Coventry
Hidden gems in Coventry
Side trips from Coventry
Historic Sites in Coventry
Museums in Coventry
Nearby attractions in Coventry
Trips to Charterhouse Priory by other users
36 days in Coventry BY A USER FROM INDIA Sports Stars Memorabilia The Coventry Music Museum Charterhouse Priory 30 days in Warwick & Coventry BY A USER FROM UNITED KINGDOM Warwick Coventry 58 days in Coventry BY A USER FROM UNITED KINGDOM National Justice Museum Wollaton Hall and Park William Booth Birthplace Museum 58 days in Coventry BY A USER FROM UNITED KINGDOM National Justice Museum Wollaton Hall and Park William Booth Birthplace Museum 60 days in Coventry BY A USER FROM INDIA Alton Towers Theme Park Bath Abbey The Roman Baths 15 days in Coventry BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES Midland Air Museum Warwick Castle The Mill Garden